Here is a list of the stories that sparked the most interest in the asset-based finance industry during a tumultuous 2016.
- Former Gibraltar CEO Launches Stonegate Capital
Former Gibraltar Capital CEO Darren Latimer launched Stonegate Capital Holdings to provide $1 million to $10 million asset-backed loans to established lower middle market enterprises and emerging brands.
- Wells Fargo Launches Industrials Corporate Banking Group
Wells Fargo Corporate Banking launched an Industrials Group to offer capital solutions, financing expertise and traditional banking products to customers in this sector. Lisa McGeough led the group, reporting to Kyle Hranicky, head of Corporate Banking.
- Sterling Acquires NewStar Business Credit, Haddad to Lead ABL Unit
Sterling Bancorp, through its principal subsidiary, Sterling National Bank, completed the acquisition of NewStar Business Credit (NSBC), a wholly owned subsidiary of NewStar Financial, a provider of specialized direct lending and credit management capabilities for middle market companies and investors in the credit markets.
- SunTrust Robinson Humphrey Promotes 10 Team Leaders to MD
SunTrust Robinson Humphrey promoted 10 team members to managing director.
- Former GE Capital Syndication/Trading Team Joins Antares Capital
Antares Capital finalized the hiring of its Loan Syndication, Sales and Trading team led by industry veteran, Kevin Burke.
- Monroe Capital Elects Four to Partner, Promotes 19
Monroe Capital elected four senior executives to partner and promoted 19.
- Factoring Business Owner Charged With Lying to FBI
An owner of a Bergen County, NJ, factoring company was arrested on charges that he allegedly lied to FBI special agents about his efforts to sell fraudulent accounts receivable to another factoring company, U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman announced.
- Monroe Capital Launches Specialty Finance Practice
Monroe Capital launched a newly established business vertical, Specialty Finance Lending. Aaron Peck, Lee Stern and Kyle Asher will lead the origination efforts, based out of the firm’s Chicago and New York offices.
- Encina Capital, Oaktree Affiliate Launch New ABL Platform
Encina Capital Partners and an affiliate of certain funds managed by Oaktree Capital Management launched Encina Business Credit, an independent asset-based lending platform targeting middle-market borrowers in the U.S. and Canada that cannot obtain required financing from traditional banks.
- WSJ Major Banks Face Exposure from Massive Unfunded Oil Loans
As the major banks began reporting their earnings, the Wall Street Journal said that unfunded loans have been promised to energy companies that have not drawn on the credit lines.